I think that Spring has arrived! As we see the beauty of spring arriving, it reminds me that it is once again the time of the year to replace current members of the parish Pastoral Council whose terms are coming to a close. Last year, when we revised the Pastoral Council Covenant we began a selection process for new members rather than an election process. The selection process takes as its model the selection of an Apostle after the death of Judas to bring their number back to twelve. The Apostles determined qualifications for the one to be chosen, then they nominated two disciples, prayed over the names and then drew lots; and Matthias was chosen and was added to the eleven. For the next two weekends we will be taking nominations for people to serve as Pastoral Council Representatives. Then on May 15th, Pentecost Sunday, we will be selecting those who will serve three year terms. Please read the qualifications listed below for a Pastoral Council Representative and pray for who you think God is calling to serve the parish in this ministry.
God Bless you, Fr. Bill
SELECTION PROCESS: Nominations will be accepted either by self-nomination or by being nominated by another person. Nominees will be contacted to ascertain their willingness to become candidates.
Nominees/Council Members should be:
- a desire for spiritual growth - a faith that is alive and gospel-oriented;
- an enthusiasm about the future of the parish - a balanced and open-minded outlook;
- a willingness to listen, to speak honestly, and to be respectful;
- a willingness to work as a team member and to work toward consensus;
- a willingness to make a commitment of time and talent – actively participating in council meetings, and volunteering for council member tasks;
- a willingness to represent the entire parish, while acting as a liaison to one of our weekend worship sites and enabling ongoing communications between the Pastor and the parishioners.
Two selected representatives will be randomly chosen during Mass at one of our worship sites on Pentecost. Members will not be eligible for re-selection after their first term, but they can be eligible for selection again after one year off the Parish Council.
MEMBERS AT LARGE: A member at large may be added to the Parish Council to represent “Youth”. If a circumstance arises where there is not a Parish Council representative from a particular worship site selected to the Pastoral Council, the pastor would have the authority to appoint someone from that worship site to serve on the Pastoral Council for up to a three-year term. .
Newly selected members will begin their service during the June meeting, held on June 20. This will be a combined meeting of the out-going Council and the new Council. Meetings are currently held on the third Monday of the month. There normally are no meeting in July, August, December and the weeks near Easte