To address this issue we have scheduled training sessions for Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion. Our parish in the past has used the term Eucharistic Ministers, but we are now using the official term Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion. These sessions will be for new Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion but we also ask that all who are currently serving in this liturgical role also attend. The training sessions will be held at two locations, St. Patrick, Moravia, on September 15, at 7:00 p.m., and St. Patrick, Aurora, on September 17, at 7:00 p.m. If you are interested in being an Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion or if you are currently serving in this liturgical role, or are currently bring Holy Communion to a family member, we ask that you attended one of these sessions. These sessions will be the first part of the training; the second part will cover the practical responsibilities of carrying out the ministry, and will take place in the individual church where you will ordinarily be serving in this ministry. The times for these sessions will be at St. Michael, September 19 at 4:00 p.m., at St. Patrick, Moravia, on September 20 after the Sunday Mass, at .Our Lady of the Lakes, on September 20 after the Sunday Mass, and at St. Patrick, Aurora, at a time to be announced.
Below I am listing the requirements for Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion as outlined in the diocesan Policies for the Administration of the Sacraments. After reading these requirements if you wish to be considered for this ministry, please contact me through the parish office, or by email, email@example.com. These training sessions will fulfill the training requirements outlined below. If you are currently serving as an Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion please also notify the office as to which training session you will be attending (September 15 or September 17).
Requirements for Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion
• These men and women must:
1. have completed their sixteenth year, be fully initiated, lead a life of faith in keeping with the function to be undertaken, and if married, be validly married within the Church and not be bound by any canonical penalty legitimately imposed or declared;
2. sign the Profession of Faith for an extraordinary minister of Holy Communion, renewing his/her belief in the real presence of Jesus Christ in the Most Holy Eucharist. A copy of this Profession of Faith for an extraordinary minister of Holy Communion is to be filed at the Chancery Office; (Cf. Addendum 1)
4. participate in training which includes a theological discussion of the Sacrament of Holy Communion as well as training on the appropriate posture and deportment of the extraordinary minister of Holy Communion during the Mass;
5. have a letter of authorization from the Bishop.
God Bless you, Father Bill